Wednesday, April 21, 2010

5 Questions From the Road


There was a time when I was constantly in hotels, but business travel has thankfully become more scarce.  Having spent some time on the road over the past few weeks, I have come up with 5 pressing questions regarding hotel living.

  1. The hotel soaps now all seem to have shea butter.  There's much mention of shea butter.  What is shea butter and should I be happy that my soap has butter in it?  If I come into a room and see a label that indicates an ingredient of I-Can't-Believe-It's-Not-Shea-Butter, should I be disappointed?
  2. Why are the electrical sockets always hidden and full?  When I travel, I need to recharge my laptop, ipod, cellphone and camera battery.  But the sockets are always behind the furniture and low, down by the floor.  And it seems I always have to decide whether I want to lose the use of a lamp, the alarm clock or the TV in order to plug my stuff in.  Would adding an extension panel be so difficult?
  3. The in room coffee makers.  Every room now has one but do you actually know anyone who has ever used it?  The packet of coffee in my room could be used to swat at and seriously hurt a well proportioned feral cat.  I'm sure it's been sitting in the bin for a decade.
  4. If I walk into my local McDonald's and spend $2, I can sit there and access free wifi for seven hours straight.  Here in my several hundred dollar per night hotel room, I need to pay $10 for a day of internet usage.  Why?
  5. Shampoos now seem to feature eucalyptus and menthol.  Frankly, this is more than my sensitive scalp can tolerate as a burning head doesn't appeal to me.  If I wanted to rub Vicks VapoRub into my hair, I'd simply do that.  Whatever happened to shampoos that smell like flowers?
More serious trip reports are forthcoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment