Thursday, November 5, 2009

Macro Follow-Up

Recently, my brother and I conducted the second round of a "photo a day" exercise, designed to improve our creative eyes and photographic technique. The drill was that each of us had to take and post one photo each day to our respective photo websites. The only requirement was that the photo had to be "good". The hope (and outcome) was that by forcing this, you begin to look at the world around you differently. You notice colors, pattens, and the extraordinary in our ordinary midst. My gallery is here and Ed's is here. This point of this post is not that any of these photographs are actually any good... rather, that the exercise actually did what it was intended to do. When you carry a camera and the pressure of taking one decent shot around with you wherever you go, you begin to notice that we do live in an extraordinary world.

On some days, I set up shots, exercised great care and actually worked at it. Many days, however, I was flying around my normal day and just trying to grab a quick shot to check this off my to do list. The two pictures in the previous post are examples. Both were taken with an inexpensive point and shoot digital camera. Both were taken in the conference room near my former office. I set the camera to macro mode and in one photo, I pointed the camera up from the bottom of the vertical window blinds and fired away. The second, also on macro mode, was a close up of an ordinary office plant leaf. On my computer later, I jacked up the saturation, contrast and sharpening.

No comments:

Post a Comment